Church by the sea
Originally uploaded by Nancy Hawkins
St. Nicholas Church- Torbay, Newfoundland
From 1787 to 1839, Newfoundland was part of the diocese of Nova Scotia and when Bishop John Inglis of Nova Scotia first visited Newfoundland in 1827, he consecrated eighteen churches around the island, including the first Church at Torbay. This Church served the people of Torbay until 1926 when the cornerstone was laid for the present Church of St. Nicholas.
In 1832, Bishop Inglis again returned to Newfoundland mainly to visit
the S.P.G. Schools and it was during this visit on July 7, 1832 that he consecrated the first Anglican Church in Pouch Cove which was named in honour of St. Thomas. This Church was destroyed by fire on January 22, 1882 and plans were made to erect a new building, from the evidence available the cornerstone was laid on All Saints day, November 1, 1882 and to commemorate this fact, the new Church was named All Saints.
Prior to the appointment of Rev. T.G. Netten as Rector with responsibilities for Pouch Cove and Torbay on April 22, 1900 it seems that services were conducted by lay readers, clergy from St. John's parishes and those appointed in charge of the St. John's outport mission. The Parish formally came in being on March 1, 1923 at a joint meeting of Parishioners from Torbay and Pouch Cove when it was decided to to elect a Parish Council.
Today the Parish has about 300 Parishioners almost evenly divided in the Towns of Pouch Cove and Torbay, the Present Rector is Rev. Dr. Robert Rowlands, There is a Select Vestry in each point and a Parish Council.