The ruins of El Chanal, Mexico
Originally uploaded by Nancy Hawkins
El Chanal - archeological zone located some 4.5 kms. north of Colima. First explored by archeologist Vladimiro Rosado Ojeda in 1945, the site extends over some 140 hectares on both sides of the Rio Verde. It comprises ceremonial plazas, altars, pyramids and several ball courts. Particularly prevalent on the site are figures of the Rain God, Tlaloc. Characteristics of artifacts made of clay and obsidian with the use of metals indicate that the inhabitants of El Chanal were in some way related to Tula.
From the website: